By Simson Garfinkel, Gene Spafford
When Practical Unix Security used to be first released greater than a decade in the past, it turned an speedy vintage. filled with information regarding host protection, it kept many a Unix procedure administrator from catastrophe. the second one variation extra much-needed net safeguard assurance and doubled the scale of the unique quantity. The 3rd variation is a finished replace of this extremely popular publication - a spouse for the Unix/Linux procedure administrator who must safe his or her organization's procedure, networks, and internet presence in an more and more antagonistic world.
Focusing at the 4 most well-liked Unix variations today--Solaris, Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD--this publication includes new details on PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules), LDAP, SMB/Samba, anti-theft applied sciences, embedded structures, instant and computing device matters, forensics, intrusion detection, chroot jails, cell scanners and firewalls, digital and cryptographic filesystems, WebNFS, kernel safeguard degrees, outsourcing, felony matters, new web protocols and cryptographic algorithms, and lots more and plenty more.
Practical Unix & web Security contains six parts:
- Computer safeguard fundamentals: advent to safety difficulties and strategies, Unix heritage and lineage, and the significance of defense regulations as a easy component of method security.
- Security construction blocks: basics of Unix passwords, clients, teams, the Unix filesystem, cryptography, actual protection, and team of workers security.
- Network safety: a close examine modem and dialup safety, TCP/IP, securing person community companies, Sun's RPC, a variety of host and community authentication structures (e.g., NIS, NIS+, and Kerberos), NFS and different filesystems, and the significance of safe programming.
- Secure operations: maintaining thus far in trendy altering safeguard international, backups, protecting opposed to assaults, acting integrity administration, and auditing.
- Handling defense incidents: getting to know a break-in, facing programmed threats and denial of carrier assaults, and felony features of desktop security.
- Appendixes: a finished safeguard record and an in depth bibliography of paper and digital references for additional analyzing and research.
Packed with a thousand pages of invaluable textual content, scripts, checklists, counsel, and warnings, this 3rd version continues to be the definitive reference for Unix directors and a person who cares approximately preserving their structures and knowledge from present day threats.